Red Rocks Membership Information
Joining a church is the action whereby a person who has trusted Jesus Christ as Savior and has been baptized becomes a part of the local church. It is necessary for the following reasons:
- Our participation in Christ necessitates it. Christ founded the church (Matthew 16:18) for our benefit and for His glory. He is the head of the church (Colossians 1:18), and we are His body (Ephesians 5:30).
- The pattern of the New Testament requires it (Acts 2:41, 47). The book of Acts states several times that people were added to the church.
- The business of the church cannot operate without it (Acts 6:1-5). Our church is congregationally ruled and thus, the members make the major decisions of the ministry. To have a membership role is vital to ensure the purity of the church.
- The discipline of the church rests upon it (Matthew 18:17). A good church will follow the Biblical pattern of discipline when you refuse to follow the Lord. Without a formal membership role, discipline can become arbitrary or not practiced.
What are the requirements for membership?
- You must be born again, "saved" (Romans 3). Every member of Red Rocks must have experienced salvation by repenting of their sins and trusting in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ alone for forgiveness of sins. Your lifestyle should give evidence to this new life in Christ.
- You must be baptized (Matthew 28:18-20). Every member of Red Rocks must give a public testimony of their faith in Christ by being immersed in water in a public service by a leader of the church.
- You must agree with the Statement of Faith, philosophy, and direction of the church (Amos 3:3). We realize that there are many churches in our community. We endeavor to be straightforward with our beliefs and our direction. Therefore, we expect members, upon joining, to agree to support the philosophy, direction, and leadership of the ministry.
How does one join the church?
- Presentation - The first step towards membership is to present yourself publicly by coming forward at the invitation in the Sunday morning service. Another option is to talk privately with a pastoral staff member and mention your desire to pursue membership.
- Examination - The second step involves completing a membership application and having a membership interview with a member of the pastoral staff. Our desire is that every member completes the Introduction to Red Rocks Class prior to or during this step.
- Affirmation - The third step involves introducing you to the church family where you will be publicly accepted into membership. After this affirmation, you are a member of Red Rocks Baptist Church.
How does one remove their membership?
- Personal request - A written request to the Senior Pastor stating your desire to be dropped from the membership will be honored. Also, if you move to another ministry and that church contacts us for a transfer of membership, we will honor that request.
- Church discipline - If you fall into sin and refuse to repent, a three-step process in accordance with Matthew 18 will be enacted. If all the steps are followed and you are still unrepentant, you will be removed from the membership under church discipline.
- Lack of attendance - Any member who does not attend a public service over the course of one year will be dropped from the membership. The only exception will be if a member alerts the Senior Pastor as to special circumstances (spending extended time out of state, temporary work assignment, etc.) prior to the absence.